Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Helping Hands Along the Way

This entry is a tribute to all our wonderful friends and family who have lifted us up on many, many hands and on many prayers all this way. There is a shoebox under our couch stuffed full of lovely cards and letters of encouragement from dear ones, and on a bad day I can take that box out and sift through, reading encouraging notes and Bible verses and reminders that we are loved and cared for by people and by a sweet heavenly Father. Some of the helpful things people have done for us, practically speaking: When I was very very ill, troupes of ladies came from our church and spent time cleaning our house once a week. Meals were arranged twice a week, often large enough for a couple of nights so that my hard-working husband did not also have to cook when he came home from work to take care of our baby daughter and put us both to bed. Now that the cancer has receded, we get two meals the week after chemo until I am well enough to cook again. When I first got sick, my employers set up a medical fund at the local bank where friends and church members deposited cash donations. Our church also accepted donations on our behalf, and simply sent us a check of the funds. My mom's group held a 4th of July bake sale at the grocery store and put up signs explaining that it was to help me fight cancer. We have been able to pay all of our medical and living bills since April, when I was diagnosed, because of this amazing generosity! My employers not only generously kept me on health insurance, but also have allowed me the freedom and flexibility to come and go at work as I have the strength, relieving me of the pressure to perform when I feel terrible. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I surely could not ask for a better community.

No comments: